A Scoot North

Home | Preparing and Packing | Darwin bound! | Bound for South Australia | Trip overview | Contact Me

Darwin bound!


A couple of false starts and I was on my way! I eventually left Waikerie at about 7am Monday morning. I crossed the ferry at Morgan and the first fuel stop was at Peterborough. Just by the way, Peterborough was my home town for the first twenty years of my life. Next stop was Port Augusta where I refuelled and had some lunch. I took a detour from Pimba and ducked into Woomera. (About 9km off the main highway). That evening I camped in the saltbush about 15km north of Glendamo.

On Tuesday I hit the road about 8am, refuelled at Coober Pedy where I had brunch and hit the road again.  Late in the day I crossed the border into NT and I camped at Erldunda camp ground behind the service station. I enjoyed a hot shower and can recommend this place as an overnight stopping spot.

On Wednesday I hit the road early at 7am. I stopped for breakfast and refuelled at Stuarts Well. I enjoyed a good hearty egg and bacon breakfast. On to Alice Springs, spent 20 minutes having a look around Alice Springs, and then back onto the main road. Topped up at Aileron, and again at Tennant Creek. Debated with myself whether to camp for the night or proceed another 250km, and chose to high-tail it late in the day to Elliott. Arrived just on sunset.

Thursday morning I was on my way again at 7am. I arrived in Darwin at 4.30 Thursday afternoon.

Unfortunately I didn’t stop very often to take photographs because it was a real pain in the bum getting my pad out from under the seat each time to take a picture, however, on my return journey I intent to take a more leisurely return trip, and I also have a new smart phone so I don’t have to pull my pad out each time to take a photo.


Woomera town park display


Lake Hart with water!!!!

First night camping in saltbush north of Glendambo


Barrow Creek - Telegraph Station

Stolen From Wikipedia,
Barrow Creek was chosen as a site for an Overland Telegraph morse repeater station by John Ross in September 1871. The station was officially opened on 16 August 1872 by Charles Todd. It was one of 15 such repeater stations on a network traversing Australia and linking to Europe, providing essential communication services. The Telegraph Station has been preserved and is now a monument to the troubles which beset the early days of the Territory.